Saturday, October 3, 2009

The Last Email Before Leaving for Chile!!

  Well this is it, the last email before my mission starts; before I leave the comfort of the United States and Provo before heading to the distant land of Chile. I cant express how excited I am now, however the nerves are starting to set in too. But I know I'll be fine.
   So the big news: ¡¡Flight Plans!! They're finally here, and the mission is starting to feel very real now knowing that I'll be leaving in about 5 days. Alright, heres my travel itinerary:
  First, we'll take a shuttle to the Salt Lake Airport. Theres 16 total people in my group: turns out Aaron and I are in different groups. Anyways, so we meet at the travel office at 6AM on October 5th. Then we leave Salt Lake via Delta Air Lines Flight 470 leaving at 9:51Am heading to LAX. We get to LAX at 10:45AM. Then we have a break in LAX:  the next flight leaves at 1:20. So sometime inbetween 10:45 and 1:20 I'll be calling all of you! So make sure and be ready for a call in between then. The next flight is on Lan Chile S.A. Flight 601 leaving LAX at 1:20pm, arriving in Santiago, Chile, airport SCL at 5:25AM on October 6th. That'll be a fun plan ride, haha, nice and long. Then we get on another Lan Chile S.A. flight, Flight 203, leaving Santaigo SCL at 8AM, arriving in Concepcion Chile at 9:05AM. Then the mission starts for real! So there you have it, my travel plans. From the airport the Mission President will pick us up, then we'll be on our way to our apartment.
  So among other news, we get to host the new missionaries again this week! So thats exciting. Everything here is doing quite well, I'm anxiously waiting to leave and truly start my mission.
  SO hows everything back at home? Probably more of the same I assume. So yeah, the spanish is getting pretty good I would say. I think by the time I get in the field I'll be fluent in about 2 or 3 months. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to teach right away once I get there; normally the new spanish speakers don't do a lot of teaching the first couple transfers. But I think I'll be able to, so it'll be interesting.
  Any last questions? Make sure to email me them today or write a dear elder, but make sure thats done before saturday, or else I probably won't get it.
  My testimony has grown so much since I've been here, and I know it will continue to grow. So here goes: I know that this church is true. I know it now more than ever. I know that Jesus Christ is my Savior and Redeemer, that He suffered and died for my sins. I know that this work, missionary work, is such a divine and guided thing. I want to spread the Gospel to the people of chile, so they will know the things I know, and have the joy I have. I know that the Book Of Mormon is the word of God, as is the Bible. I am so grateful for this Gospel and this church, and I am so grateful for the opportunity I have to share it with the world. I know these things are true in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

  Anyways, so this is it, I'll talk to you all in a week, and I'll be soooo far away! It'll be crazy. But remember to wait for my phone call on Monday. Anyways, I love you all, thank you so much for all the support you've given me. I've grown so much already, and I know I'll be a much better person after these next 2 years. The time really will fly. ¡Buena suerte, y vaya con Dios!

Con amor,
Elder Ryan Mayberry

No comments:

Post a Comment