Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Goodbye party for English !

Hey everyone!
How are things back California? I hope everyone is ok despite the fires, it was even hazy and smokey here in Provo a couple days. Its really hard to hear about the news here, I feel really out of the loop. One of our teachers will occasionally tell us about the outside world though, because he knows how it is to be a missionary and knows that we need some things to keep us human. We did hear that BYU won their first game against the 3rd ranked team in the nation. So that was pretty exciting. When I heard that it really made me realize that the outside world is continuing without us, but I know I am here for the right reasons, and am so excited to be leaving in 4 more weeks (ugh)
  So things here are the same old same old. We basically study and eat everyday of the week except P day, which is a very welcome change. I truly know I have been blessed; I have been able to study diligently everyday; back at school it was hard studying for more than an hour! But really, I have made so much progress, both in my Gospel understanding and in Spanish. Something interesting: we had a goodbye party to English in class yesterday. We wrote letters and did a bunch of stuff, symbolizing that were only gonna be speaking Spanish in the class now, and I'm gonna try real hard to speak it throughout the day to. Thats pretty much my only problem in spanish, I can't speak it extremely well. But I can pretty well, hopefully by the time I get out of here I will be pretty well off. Were also teaching in the TRC in spanish for the first time on Friday. The TRC is a place where volunteers come in and be pretend investigators. It's a pretty cool experience, we'll see if i can do it in spanish though.
  So I'm really dying to get to the field. Oh, another thing, I think starting tomorrow I'll be experimenting with vegetables and fruits and what not. I'll keep you updated on how that goes, haha. So yeah, I want to get to the field so badly. On our temple walk the other day we talked to an RM who just got back 3 weeks ago for about an hour. He says he feels a lot more comfortable around us, and he already wants to go back. It'll be so crazy when I get to that point, but thats 23 months away. I really am anxious to get speaking spanish fluently; the guy said it took him about a year in the field, but he was in a beginner class. I don't think it should be too long before I feel close to fluent when I get in the field. As far as studies go, I'm practically done reading the Book of Mormon in english, I'll either finish today or tomorrow. Then after I'll either re-read it in Spanish or start the Bible in Spanish. Its amazing how much I can get done here, especially when we follow such a strict schedule.
  Something funny happened this week. One of the guys in my district, Elder Barksdale has been getting a lot of headaches. So they took him to the hospital to get an MRI. That night at 10:10 (5 minutes before quiet time) 2 BYU police pulled him out of the dorms, and he came back crying. His companion said they had found something small and they had to take it out before he could go to the field. But after about 5 minutes they told us he was just kidding. So yeah, had us spooked for a bit, but it was just a little bit of fun (not in very good taste if you ask me, haha)
  Well thats about all I can think of writing for now. I love getting Dear Elders and emails and letters from you, it makes my day. To my friends who write, be sure to include you home address, so I can write back.I'll write more a little later tonight!

Elder Mayberry

No comments:

Post a Comment